These plants are highly recommended for our drought conditions and highly resistant to most insects and diseases.
Perennial: Plant that lives longer than two years and has little or no woody growth. Unless otherwise noted, perennials listed here are hardy in Parker County, thriving in our soil and in our climate conditions.
- Tender Perennial: Plant that is able to survive mild winters, but may not survive a severe winter.
- Heat Sensitive: Plant that may suffer when the temperature soars in July and August.
- Deciduous: Plants that will die back in autumn or winter and return again in spring. Plants that return from the root may be pruned to the ground in early spring. Plants that return from the stem should be pruned sparingly to control the shape or size.
- Low Water Requirement: Plants that can survive on rainfall alone, once established. These are our hardiest plants, and watering them too much may actually harm the plant. In general, these plants can survive on rainfall alone; and during drought with no more than one inch of rain every 30 days. When rainfall is absent for an extended period of time, or when it is absent during the hottest days of summer, these plants will benefit from supplemental water.
- Drought Tolerant: These plants will perform best with one inch of water once a week (including rain). Once established, these plants are able to survive drought conditions when watering is temporarily restricted.
Aster, "Frikart's" Aster frikartii
Grows in full sun, semi-evergreen. Mature size 3’x3’. Blooms summer to fall in lavender and violet. Deadhead to prolong blooming. Cut to the ground in early spring. Excellent cut flower. Low water requirement. 3-2105
Aster, "Fall" Aster oblongifolius
Grows in full sun to partial shade, semi-evergreen. Mature size 3'x3'. Blooms September to November in lavender. Prune in spring to promote profuse fall bloom. Watch for powdery mildew. Low water requirement. 3-2105
Daisy "Blackfoot" Melampodium leucanthum
Grows in full sun to partial shade, semi-evergreen. Mature size 12"x18". Blooms March to November in white. Deer resistant. Low water requirement. 3-2015
Rock Rose Pavonia lasioptala
Grows in full sun to partial shade, deciduous. Mature size 3'x3'. Blooms May to November in pink. Prune any time to maintain shape. Watch for powdery mildew. Freely re-seeds. Deer and grasshopper resistant. Low water requirement. 3-2015