These plants are highly recommended for our drought conditions and highly resistant to most insects and diseases.
Perennial: Plant that lives longer than two years and has little or no woody growth. Unless otherwise noted, perennials listed here are hardy in Parker County, thriving in our soil and in our climate conditions.
- Tender Perennial: Plant that is able to survive mild winters, but may not survive a severe winter.
- Heat Sensitive: Plant that may suffer when the temperature soars in July and August.
- Deciduous: Plants that will die back in autumn or winter and return again in spring. Plants that return from the root may be pruned to the ground in early spring. Plants that return from the stem should be pruned sparingly to control the shape or size.
- Low Water Requirement: Plants that can survive on rainfall alone, once established. These are our hardiest plants, and watering them too much may actually harm the plant. In general, these plants can survive on rainfall alone; and during drought with no more than one inch of rain every 30 days. When rainfall is absent for an extended period of time, or when it is absent during the hottest days of summer, these plants will benefit from supplemental water.
- Drought Tolerant: These plants will perform best with one inch of water once a week (including rain). Once established, these plants are able to survive drought conditions when watering is temporarily restricted.
Sunflower, Maximilian Helianthus maximiliani
Grows in full sun, deciduous. Mature size varies to 10'x5'. Blooms July to October in shades of yellow. First-year plants are neat and tidy. Pull up second-year plants and allow seedlings to grow. Easily re-seeds. Low water requirement. 3-2105
Sage, 'Russian' Perovskia atriplicifolia
Grows in full sun. Mature size 3'x3'. Blooms May to October. Deer and grasshopper resistant. Low water requirement. 3-2015
St. John's Wort Hypericum perforatum
Grows in full sun to partial shade, semi-evergreen. Mature size varies to 3'x2'. Blooms May to August in shades of yellow. Hard prune after harsh winters to rejuvenate growth. Grasshopper resistant. Low water requirement. 3-2015
Sage, "Mealy Blue" Salvia farinacea
Grows in full sun, deciduous. Mature size 2'x2'. Blooms April to November in shades of blue. Requires well-drained soil. Deadhead to prolong bloom. Deer and grasshopper resistant. Low water requirement. 3-2015